Thursday, April 7, 2011

10 NT Coin: The Man in the Middle

I went to 7-11 tonight and the most unlikely thing happened. I had just paid for my good and I receieved a 10 dollar coin from the cashier. I looked at it and noticed the person from the middle of the coin. I was little confused because it is not normally the person (on the coin) that I normally see. I must've had a puzzled look on my face because he cashier was looking at me and wondered what I was confused by. I got the coin and asked him "新的嗎?" (wow, it took too long to write that...". He said yes, it is new. I asked him if it was this year's coin. He told me it was last years. And that on the 10 coin from two years ago is different. All there years are different (different person in the middle of the coin). The guy on the ten dollar coin from last year is also on the 1,000 bill. (or at least that I what I understand about it). Also each year they don't make too many new ones. I thanked him like a million times for the info.

It was a fun and cool experience.

And it was all in Chinese. I even "re-learned" a new word in Chinese. When he was speaking about the coin he would say "bi" and at first I thought he was talking about the comparison "bi", but later I realized that he was talking about the NT currency, which is called the "Taibi"

It was just a lot of fun and I learned something new. I am going to go look up more information on it.

2 comments:

Cyona said...

Very Cool! I didn't know that either! Honestly, you're getting invaluable experience while living in Taiwan that you probably couldn't get here in the States. Makes me want to go back!

Jaimie said...

So cool Erin! Congrats on your Chinese missy!