Sunday, December 7, 2008

Two Weeks Left

WOW! There are only two weeks of school left! It is absolutely amazing! 6 months really does fly by. There is a lot to be done in the next little bit, but I am excited to have a break at the end of it! Looking back on the semester and these last 5 months, I find myself thinking of everything that has gone on. In the beginning, I knew the end would be like this. When you are at the end of something looking back it is strange. The days had gone by slowly, but the weeks quickly. Time is a strange creature I fail to understand. It is beautiful, painful, wonderful, and paradoxical. I am amazed at where my life has taken me; where I have taken myself. I should not forget I have had a hand in it. We all have a hand in our lives. I digress a little.

I feel this amazing gratitude for my life and the people in it. My life is truly blessed and to deny that would be to deny all the wonderfulness I am surrounded by. To be here in Taiwan, means the world to me. For so long, I have been inside a bubble, called the United States. And for my own country I am grateful. Being out here, despite being away from most of my family and friends, is so special to me. I need this time for myself. Although, I have left loved ones back at home, I still feel their love across continents. I still think of them often and with regard.

Taiwan is more than just a country. It is a journey and a pleasure.

Teaching has been an interesting endeavor. I am slowly learning more about it. Next semester, I will be a head-teacher for Beginning Reading. At first, I was scared of the responsibility, but as I have written on my mirror, "Yo yo, check your freakin' insecurities at the door," and this is the voice of reason I have decided to follow. Not the voice of my own nay-saying, but a voice of confidence. We all have insecurities about our abilities. We should not ignore them, but we shouldn't give into them in a way to prevent us from going for the gold and fighting the good fight. I have once before given up a position of more responsibility but this is not going to be the case this time. I will not let it.

I have another 6 months to improve on myself. Actually, I have the rest of my life.

I cannot even begin to sum up my feelings on this experience. With two weeks of teaching left, all of those feelings are coming to the surface. I wonder what the next 6 months will hold; what the new teachers will be like; etc...

And to the teachers I have spent almost 6 months with, I hope to spend some quality time with you before you go back to America. The last horrah. I am glad to have worked with you all. I am exctied for our Christmas program and to see everything you turn out. It should be wonderful. I feel like 6 months was not enough time to get to know you.

I bather on...but I finally want to thank everyone for teaching me. Everyone has taught me something valuable.

1 comment:

Brad and Hailey said...

I am so glad this has been such a great experience for you! 2 weeks left that's amazing! And a head teacher? Congrats! You are awesome and will do really well I know!