Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Night Market & Learning Chinese

Tonight Connie and I went to the night market closest to our school. It was a pretty small night market, which Connie and I have decided we like better. There is just more time to look at things talk to people and take our time.

Tonight we talked to vendors. There is this one vendor who I like to buy shirts from; it was wonderful to talk to him and he even knows a bit of English. It was fun practicing Chinese and he even complimented us on our Taiwanese. LOL. I love i! It is just so encouraging! He and his wife are wonderfully nice. Also, there was another vendor, an older woman who we talked to and she gave us both discounts on shirts. I have the cutest shirt now! It was cool to listen to the numbers and try to figure it out. It really does help to have physical prompts i.e. the lady held up her hand and spoke the numbers as well.

I think I am going to like learning more Chinese. And with Gloria teaching us Chinese every Monday, I feel like my language will explode. Not a huge explosion, but the kind that still gets you excited.

Going to the night market is a really good way to learn language because you have to use the language to get what you want. I need to get out more and immerse myself in the language. Get-er-done!

1 comment:

Brad and Hailey said...

That's a very smart way to learn the language! Sounds like you guys are having fun. I love your new name too! How cute is that? :)