Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I have my Chinese name!!!

A week ago, my Beginning Reading Student Jojo gave me my Chinese name. It consisted of three characters. I was so very excited and I had her write it on a piece of paper. I asked Jojo what it meant; she could not tell me in English.

Then, I asked Lish what it meant, and she told me the "characters" were really bup-a-ma-fa, the baby Chinese that kids use when they are still learning. The middle character she did tell me was the word for love: 'ai 4'. Lish told me to take it to someone I trust to translate it. So I took it to Gloria.

Gloria told me that she take the paper and come up with my Chinese name, meaning the characters themselves. Today, she paged me on the intercom and told me that she has finished my Chinese name. I ran down to the teacher's room all excited! It is an awesome feeling to see your name in Chinese characters. We practiced (or rather I) practiced my new name up on the board. I think I could really get into this! I love the characters and being an artist, I feel I could learn the characters pretty well.

My name means:

1) li 3, meaning plum, which Gloria says is a common last name
2) ai 4, meaning love
3) wen 2, meaning the coloring on the clouds.

No comments: